The Courtyard Hotel Waterfall
The Courtyard Hotel Waterfall development site consist of a few office buildings and a hotel development. The Courtyard Hotel Phase I of the development is a 10 storey hotel building.7
Situated within close proximity to a walkable pedestrian network with easy access to bus stop and various amenities within the Mall of Africa. The project is designed in accordance with the requirements to achieve a 4 Star– Green Star Custom Hotel v1 Design Rating.
Sustainable building features include
Some energy, water, environmental initiatives include:
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement over a SANS 10400 notional building.
- Provision is made to ensure all individual spaces or enclosed spaces are individually switched with switches or occupancy sensors. This will offer greater flexibility for light switching, making it easy to light only occupied areas.
- Two appliances provided is certified with a minimum A+ rating of the European “Energy Rating” labelling system or has an ENERGY STAR® rating.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities.
- A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill. And reduce the environmental impact of the project.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A high level of thermal comfort is ensured by addressing the internal operative temperatures through modelling and ensuring they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours
- Evaporative cooling towers or other evaporative cooling systems that creates the risk of legionella disease are eliminated from the design of the building.
- The building achieves a savings through the use of water efficient fittings that limit the occupant water usage
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- The smart landscape irrigation measures have been implemented to reduce the required potable water consumption.
Address: Karkloof Crescent, Waterval City, Midrand, 2066
Total Gross Floor Area: 10341 m²
Total Hotel Occupied space area (if applicable): 5929 m²
Total building types: 1x hotel building
ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL: Solid Green
ARCHITECT LYT: Architecture
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: Claasen Auret
FIRE ENGINEER: TWCE
LIFT SPECIALIST: Kone
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Adaptive Resource Eng
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: De Leeuw Group
STRUCTURAL/ CIVIL ENGINEERS: Pure Consulting
SUSTAINABLE DESIGN REVIEW: Solid Green
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green
WET SERVICES: Spoormaker & Partners
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Barrow
PROJECT MANAGER: Metrum Project Management
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSULTANT: Seaton
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANY: City Lodge Hotels
INTERIOR DESIGNER: Oniro Studios
LANDSCAPE MANAGEMENT COMPANY: Danie Rebel Architects
- 4-Star Green Star SA Custon Hotel v1 Design