With a shared vision of demonstrating sector leadership in sustainability, developers Abland and Tiber have achieved a first to obtain a Green Star Sustainable Precinct certification for the mixed used precinct under the Green Building Council South Africa’s (GBCSA) new Green Star Sustainable Precincts tool.7
Sandton Gate_Glenadrianne (1)_credit Boogertman+Partners
Sandton Gate_Glenadrianne (2)_credit Boogertman+Partners
Sandton Gate_Glenadrianne (3)_credit Boogertman+Partners
The Precinct is strategically located on William Nicol Drive within minutes of Sandton, Hyde Park, Rosebank and Bryanston, Sandton Gate is an ambitious mixed-use development that will seamlessly integrate commercial, residential and retail space with a number of lifestyle amenities in a connected, green, pedestrian-friendly precinct.
Each commercial building in the precinct will be required to attain a minimum 4-Star Green Star rating for the building itself.
Sustainable Building Features
The Governance category provided guidance on interventions implemented such as community participation and governance, sustainability awareness and the required environmental management plans and permits as detailed below:
- Green Star Accredited Professionals- Accredited in the Sustainable Precinct tool was consulted to provide sustainability advice from the schematic design phase through to construction completion.
- A Community Users’ Guide/ Sustainability Education Facilities has been developed and provided to enhance knowledge and understanding of the precinct’s sustainability attributes.
- A Community Facility and Community Program has been developed as part of the precinct to establish mechanisms for community participation in management arrangements for facilities and programs.
The Liveability Category promoted healthy and active living, community development, sustainable buildings, walkable access to amenities, access to fresh food and safe places as detailed below:
- The precinct development has been designed to promote an active lifestyle, through well designed walking paths, cyclist facilities and by prioritising a pedestrian friendly street hierarchy.
- Sustainable Buildings -The precinct has made a commitment that all commercial buildings in the precinct will attain a minimum 4-Star Green Star rating.
- All buildings on the project site have walkable access to amenities such as Food Retail, Community serving retail and Civic and community facilities.
- All buildings in the project site have access to a fresh food source and a community food gardens.
Economic prosperity focuses on community investment, return on investment, employment and economic resilience, incentive programmes, and digital infrastructure:
- Community Investment through optional investments in infrastructure for the benefit of the community by upgrading the Parkland landscapes and rehabilitation softworks, providing cycle path landscapes and artistic water features to podium deck.
- Return on investment has been targeted to provide a holistic method to assess the return on investment in response to the sustainability goals for the project.
- Incentive programs such as: Car-pooling Scheme, Solar Powered Charging facilities and Reverse vending will be provided throughout the precinct to encourage sustainable practices that reduce the ongoing cost of living and working.
The environment category reduce the impact of urban development on ecosystems through investigating and implementing the following: sustainable transport and movement, sustainable site selection, waste management, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and limiting light pollution.
- Demonstrating a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions through the following initiatives:
- Energy Efficiency – Infrastructure Lighting
- Energy efficiency measures for all new buildings by demonstration best practice requirements met for Lighting, Ventilation and AC, and Domestic Hot Water.
- Energy Metering and Monitoring for Public Spaces and Buildings.
- A sustainable transport assessment was conducted to design and implement an integrated responses to transport and movement that encourage a people focused hierarchy for the precinct.
Address: Glenadrienne Township, William Nicol Drive, Sandton
Total gross floor area: 11355,5 m2
OWNER/DEVELOPER: Abland& Tiber
ARCHITECTS: Boogertman and Partners
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: CKR Consulting
FIRE ENGINEER: IFESA
TRANSPORT ENGINEERS: Kantey & Templer
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: C3 Climate Control, Consulting Engineers
STRUCTURAL/CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR THE PRECINCT: Kantey & Templer
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: Quanticost
STRUCTURAL/CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR THE BUILDINGS: L&S Consulting
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS: Landmark Studios
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green
WET SERVICES: CKR Consulting
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Tiber
PROJECT MANAGER: Abland
- 4-Star Green Star Sustainable Precincts Pilot v1.1
- Sandton, Abland Properties