Sandton Gate Phase I
Sandton Gate Phase 1 office development achieved a 5 Star Green Star Office v1.1. Design and forms part of Sandton Gate precinct that has also pursued a Sustainable Precinct certification.7
Sandton Gate precinct is an ambitious mixed-use development that will seamlessly integrate commercial, residential and retail space with a number of lifestyle amenities in a connected, green, pedestrian-friendly precinct. The project achieved a 5 Star Green Star Office v1.1. Design certifications recognised as ‘South Africa Excellence’.
Sustainable Building Features
Energy Saving Initiatives
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement over a SANS 10400 notional building. The building is designed to achieve an energy consumption of approximately 209,5 kWh/m2/annum which amounts to over a 60% improvement of energy use when compared to the notional building.
- Provision is made to ensure all individual spaces or enclosed spaces are individually switched with occupancy sensors. This will offer greater flexibility for light switching, making it easy to light only occupied areas.
- The office lighting design ensures the use of artificial lighting with minimal energy consumption as the energy use of 2 W/m² per 100 Lux was set for the office lighting power densities.
- A high level of thermal comfort is ensured by addressing the internal operative temperatures through modelling and ensuring they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours.
- Tobacco smoke is prohibited inside the building to ensure air quality benefits to the building occupants.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities.
- A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill. And reduce the environmental impact of the project.
- Evaporative cooling towers or other evaporative cooling systems that creates the risk of legionella disease are eliminated from the design of the building.
Water Saving Initiatives
- The water system is estimated at saving approximately 30% saving translating to approximately 2742.153Kl of water saved per annum.
- The building achieves a savings through the use of water efficient fittings that limit the occupant water usage.
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- The building is designed to reduce the consumption of potable water for the building’s fire protection and essential water storage systems.
Address: Erf 180, Glenadrienne Township, William Nicol Drive, Sandton
Total gross floor area: 17,660 m2
Total commercial office area: 15,181 m2
Car parking area: 25,530 m2
OWNER/DEVELOPER: Abland& Tiber
ARCHITECTS: Boogertman and Partners
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: CKR Consulting
FIRE ENGINEER: IFESA
TRANSPORT ENGINEERS: Kantey & Templer
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: C3 Climate Control, Consulting Engineers
STRUCTURAL/CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR THE PRECINCT: Kantey & Templer
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: Quanticost
STRUCTURAL/CIVIL ENGINEERS FOR THE BUILDINGS: L&S Consulting
LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTS: Landmark Studios
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green
WET SERVICES: CKR Consulting
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Tiber
PROJECT MANAGER: Abland
- 5-Star Green Star Office v1.1. Design
- Sandton, Abland Properties