Oxford Parks Phase I
The first building in the Oxford Park precinct, Oxford Park Phase 1, developed by Intaprop, has achieved a 5 Star Green Star Office v1.1. Design certifications recognised as ‘South Africa Excellence’.7
Located on the corner of Jellicoe and Oxford Roads, the project comprises 6 floors with a gross floor area (GFA) of 10,035m² excluding car parking areas. Rather than pursuing an As-Built certification, Intaprop has decided to implement commissioning and building tuning by an Independent Commissioning Agent and the project engineers, which provides a better return on investment and ensures that the building is operating optimally right from the start.
Sustainable building features include
- Environmental strategies have been implemented to enhance the wellbeing of the building’s users such as ample fresh air, access to external views, and plenty of natural daylight.
- Sub-metering of major energy and water consuming systems is in place. Water efficient fittings are also being installed that limit occupant water usage.
- In addition, to minimise greenhouse gas emissions associated with operational energy consumption, an energy model of the building was generated during the design stage, comparing the building to a SANS 10400 notional building model. This energy model has helped to inform the building design to ensure a high performing building from a building envelope perspective.
- Modelling also enabled internal operative temperatures to be assessed to ensure that they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours, thus ensuring a high level of thermal comfort. Building Glazing Performance modelling was also carried out and performance values were agreed with the architect and mechanical engineer.
- In terms of reducing energy consumption, provision has been made to ensure that all individual or enclosed spaces are individually switched with occupancy sensors. The project also saves energy by providing office lighting that is not over designed, with an average maintained illuminance level of no more than 400 lux.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems, refrigerants and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- In terms of Green Star, three main requirements had to be met before the project commenced with demolition and construction – a Waste Management Plan (WMP), an Environmental Management Plan (EMP), and a Hazardous Waste Management Survey on existing buildings. To reduce waste to landfill during building operations, a waste recycling storage area has been provided in the basement within 20m of the exit. This dedicated area meets the Green Star sizing requirement, and will accommodate paper and cardboard; plastic, glass and cans; and metals.
- The project is also targeting the Watercourse Pollution credit, which deals with stormwater runoff. It is important that a development like this tries to capture the stormwater and reuse it within the building or within the precinct. The system has also been designed so that minimal pollutants and trash are diverted to municipal stormwater channels.
Address: 199 Oxford Road, Dunkeld, Randburg, 2196
Total gross floor area: 10035 m²
Total commercial office area: 8055 m²
Car parking area: 15321 m²
OWNER: Intaprop/ Oxford Parks Pty LTD
ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL: Solid Green Consulting cc
ARCHITECT: GLH – Building and DHK- Basement
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: RWP Consulting Engineers
FIRE ENGINEER: WSP
LIFT SPECIALIST: Schindler Lifts (SA) (Pty) Ltd
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Adaptive Resource Engineers
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: Gro2 Consulting
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS: Pure Consulting
SUSTAINABLE DESIGN REVIEW: Solid Green Consulting
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green Consulting
WET SERVICES: Izazi
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Concor
PROJECT MANAGER: Morta Project Management
LANDSCAPE DESIGNERS: Insite Group
COMMISSIONING AGENTS: Spoormaker and Partners
- 5-Star Green Star Office v1.1 Design
- Randburg, Intaprop