NERSA Kulawula House
NERSA Kulawula House has has undergone a major refurbishment of the their offices located at 526 Madiba St, Arcadia, Pretoria to upgrade the interior of the building and building systems and in the process aimed to achieve a 4-Star Green Star SA Office v1.1 As built certification requirements.7
The NERSA building was built in 1982 and is now more than 35 years old. Technological advancements and changes in regulations and standards made it necessary for a focused refurbishment aiming to bring the building interior and services up to date, so as to comply with the latest technology, standards, regulations and codes, while at the same time addressing the building’s current and predicted future criteria.
The project consist of Eight Floor levels. The project is located in Madiba street, Pretoria, which is well connected to local amenities and existing public transport infrastructure.
Address: 526 Madiba Street, Arcadia, Pretoria, 0007
Total gross floor area: 8720 m²
Total commercial office area: 5371 m²
Car parking area: 5555 m²
Sustainable building features include
- Fresh air is provided into the building at a rate of 12.5ℓ/s/p
- Upgraded roof insulation will improve indoor thermal comfort and reduce energy use for building cooling.
- The building has installed energy efficient lighting.
- Energy uses of 100kVA or greater and all major water uses are sub-metered & managed through an efficient energy management system,
- Efficient sanitary fittings and fixtures reduce potable water demand and water meters are installed for major water uses in order to monitor and manage water use.
- Paint and carpets have low VOCs which increase indoor environmental comfort for building occupants.
- The building is located within walking distance from more than 10 amenities.
- As a refurbishment the building is awarded all points for building reuse. Deciding to refurbish existing building stock in a CBD instead of building new, reduces building waste adds to city revitalisation and reduces urban sprawl.
- Educational material has been provided on a screen in the building foyer that communicates building water and energy consumption data with building occupants.
- A building user guide has been compiled in order to communicate sustainable building features with building occupants.
ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
ARCHITECT: BOOGERTMAN + PARTNERS
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: SPOORMAKER
FIRE ENGINEER: TWCE
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: SPOORMAKER
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: EQUATE
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
WET SERVICES: SPOORMAKER
MAIN CONTRACTOR: RUWACON
PROJECT MANAGER: ISF
INTERIOR DESIGNER: BOOGERTMAN + PARTNERS
CONSTRUCTION / FIT-OUT CONTRACTOR: RUWACON
- 4-Star Green Star SA Office v1.1 As-Built
- Arcadia, NERSA