The Nedbank KZN Regional Office campus site, located at 90 Braam Fisher Road in the Durban CBD accommodates approximately 2 200 building occupants arranged in two Phases.7
Phase 1 (62 031 m2) was developed first and was opened in 2003. Phase 2 (46 083 m2) was opened in 2011. The building was previously rated in 2015 under the EBP Pilot tool and achieved 3 stars. The focus in the years following the rating has primarily been on improving the energy and water management in the building.
The Nedbank property team is committed to a long-term Green Building strategy, focussed primarily on the Green Star Existing Building certification, that will see all Nedbank buildings certified by 2030.
Sustainable building features include
Sustainable plans, policies and programmes for:
- Management of solid waste and material aimed at increasing the amount of waste diverted from landfill and the treatment of waste and material disposal.
- Indoor Air Quality Manager has been appointed to manage the indoor environment.
- A Green Cleaning policy has been developed to guide and encourage the use of high performance cleaning practices.
- A Green Transport plan is in place including a staff car-pooling initiative and shower facilities for cyclists.
The building undergoes regular performance audits which includes the assessment of:
- Indoor air quality assessment in order to maintain a healthy and productive environment.
- Daylight and artificial lighting levels needed to prevent visual fatigue and reduce eye strain.
- Legionella assessment to ensure there is no threat of Legionnaires disease.
- Maintenance and process audits.
Other sustainable building features include:
- Energy efficient lighting – fluorescents fitted with high frequency ballasts.
- Flow restrictors and water efficient toilets.
- Granular metering to monitor and manage both water and energy consumption.
- Use of rainwater harvesting for irrigation purposes.
- Installation of roof-top PV to help manage electricity consumption.
- Reduced glare from direct sunlight with the use of blinds.
Address: Nedbank, 90 Braam Fisher Road, Sandown, South Africa, 2196
ACCREDITED PROFESSIONAL: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANY: NEDBANK
- 4-Star Green Star SA EBP v1
- Sandown, Nedbank