In2Food Industrial is a facility that manufactures food for Woolworths and various airlines situated within close proximity to the OR Tambo airport.7
The design of the industrial facility consists of food preparation, storage and office areas with amenities such as a canteen and clinic. The factory floor is refrigerated bean means of a CO2 Refrigeration System which utilises less energy and has zero ODP and exceptionally low GWP gas.
All hot water is heated by the CO2 Refrigeration System thereby reducing the need to install heat pumps, boilers, or geysers. The factory boasts an impressive PV system which annually yields more power than the factory utilises thereby making the facility net zero carbon energy. All water and energy sources are metered and monitored through a BMS system with an extended building tuning program in place for a period of 5 years.
A summary of the initiatives are highlighted below:
Sustainable building features
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement of 100% (net zero operating emissions base building) over a SANS 10400 notional building.
- The buildings peak electrical demand is actively reduced by the use of Photo voltaic system.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero and a very low Global Warming Potential (GWP), to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities. A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill
- The building achieves a savings through the use of water efficient fittings, and a connection to a borehole installed to reuse water as far as possible
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- In2Food has over exceeded the target by implementing several innovation measures which not only allow for a world leadership building yet also encourages the improvement of their contractor and design professional team
- Learning resources are found throughout the whole internal and external fabric of the development connected to the energy and water monitoring platform
ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL: Solid Green Consulting
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: CP Engineering
FIRE ENGINEER: Adengo Fire
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: Meccanitek
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: Quanticost QS
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS: DG Consult
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green Consulting
WET SERVICES: Sutherland
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Enzacon
PROJECT MANAGER: Enzacon
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSULTANT: SEF and Ecology International
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANY: In2Food
BMS SYSTEMS PROFESSIONAL: BB Energy
- 4-Star Green Star SA Industrial v1 Design
- Kempton Park, In2Food