Situated within Greenlee Eco-estate developed by Balwin Properties, the leisure project with a plethora of amenities such as outdoor gym, laundromat, food garden and an art gallery.7
The design of a traditional rustic farmhouse rooted in nature , peacefulness and simplicity consists of simple initiatives which contribute to the sustainability of the entire estate. The building has implemented internal building service and architectural sustainable initiatives which can be recognized as world leadership.
A summary of the initiatives are highlighted below:
Sustainable building features include
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement of 100% (net zero operating emissions base building) over a SANS 10400 notional building.
- Provision is made to ensure all individual spaces or enclosed spaces are individually switched. This will offer greater flexibility for light switching, making it easy to light only occupied areas.
- The buildings peak electrical demand is actively reduced by the use of Photo voltaic system.
- A direct visual connection to the external environment is provided for 80% of the Community Centre Occupied Area. A high level of thermal comfort is ensured by addressing the internal operative temperatures through modelling and ensuring they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities. A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill
- The building achieves a savings through the use of water efficient fittings, rainwater harvesting installed to to provide water for flushing and irrigation.
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- Balwin Properties has over exceeded the target by implementing several innovation measures which not only allow for a world leadership building yet also encourages the improvement of their contractor and design professional team, this is done through GBCSA online courses and further metering education measures.
- Learning resources are found throughout the whole internal and external fabric of the development A public display of the energy, water usage and indoor air quality levels within the development.
- The lifestyle Centre promotes the use of alternative fuel vehicles, motorbikes and bicycles by designating parking spaces -near building entrances for occupants with zero to low carbon emitting modes of transport.
Address: Greenlee Boulevard , LinbroPark AH , Sandton 2090
Total gross floor area: 1001 m²
Total nominated area: 838 m²
Car parking area: 6404 m²
OWNER: Balwin Properties
ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL: Solid Green Consulting CC
ARCHITECT: Boogertman & Partners
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: RWP Taemane Consulting Engineers
MECHANICAL CONTRACTOR: Midrand Air
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: Balwin Properties
STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS: Kantey & Templer
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: Solid Green Consulting CC
MAIN CONTRACTOR: Balwin Properties
PROJECT MANAGER: Balwin Properties
ENVIRONMENTAL CONSULTANT: LEAP Environ
FACILITIES MANAGEMENT COMPANY: Lansdowne
INTERIOR DESIGNER: Boogertman& Partners
ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR: MLE Electrical Contractos
CONSTRUCTION / FIT-OUT CONTRACTOR: Balwin Properties
BMS SYSTEMS PROFESSIONAL: Solid Insight
- 6-star Green Star Public & Education Building v1 Design
- Sandton, Balwin Properties