8 Parks Boulevard – Oxford Parks Phase I
8 Parks Boulevard demonstrates South African Excellence, being located in a publicly accessible precinct by the pedestrian, being non-gated. Yet have strategically made use of passive surveillance, lighting and security to encourage safe walkability to prime local amenities such as the Rosebank Gautrain and Rosebank mall amongst other retail spaces located in the mixed used precinct development.7
The base building strategy incorporated indoor environmental quality initiates to ensure optimum and increased staff productivity for tenants can be achieved. External view, optimum daylight levels. increased fresh air rates, efficient LED lighting with optimum task illuminance levels, thermal comfort performance are amongst a few of the initiatives implemented by the project team to achieve this. Studies from the World Green building council have shown 15 % improvement on staff productivity can be expected relating to fresh air rates, 18% relating to external views and 23% when correct lighting levels for tasks are allocated. Intaprop prides itself by implementing sustainable development that improves both the planet, the surrounding areas and ensures a tangible benefit for its tenants.
The project consist of a Ground Floor, First Floor, Second Floor ,Third Floor ,Fourth Floor and Roof level. The Usable Area of the project is 3062,8m² and the GFA is 4311,5 m² excluding car parking areas. The project is located in Dunkeld, on the Corner of Eastwood and Oxford Road.
The developer, Intaprop and Oxford Parks, wanted a cost-effective 5-star strategy, and therefore we looked at implementing the following innovation points, as opposed to the costly commissioning credit targeted for Oxford Parks Phase I: Exceeding Green star Benchmarks of the local connectivity (1 point); Financial transparency (2 points); Online AP course (2 points); Implementing Reused and Recycled Materials (1 point). The project was listed in the Impact magazine as one of the leaders in adopting innovation point as part of their sustainable strategy
Sustainable building features include
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement over a SANS 10400 notional building.
- Provision is made to ensure all individual spaces or enclosed spaces are individually switched with occupancy sensors. This will offer greater flexibility for light switching, making it easy to light only occupied areas.
- The project saves energy by providing office lighting that is not over designed. This is achieved as the office lighting design achieves an average maintained illuminance level of no more than 400 Lux.
- The project is targeting a Sustainable Precinct Rating. The Sustainable Initiatives will be implemented at an urban scale over and above the building rating.
- A high level of thermal comfort is ensured by addressing the internal operative temperatures through modelling and ensuring they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours
- Tobacco smoke is prohibited inside the building to ensure air quality benefits to the building occupants.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities.
- A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill. And reduce the environmental impact of the project.
- Evaporative cooling towers or other evaporative cooling systems that creates the risk of legionella disease are eliminated from the design of the building.
- The building achieves a savings using water efficient fittings that limit the occupant water usage to 0.56L/day/m2
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- And the development is designed to minimize storm water run-off,and minimize the pollution of the natural watercourses.
Address: 8 Parks Boulevard, Dunkeld, Randburg, 2196
Total gross floor area: 4311 m²
Total commercial office area: 3062 m²
|OWNER||Intaprop/ Oxford Parks Pty Ltd|
|ACCREDITED PROFFESSIONAL||Solid Green|
|ARCHITECT||GLH – Building and DHK- Basement|
|ELECTRICAL ENGINEER||RWP Consulting Engineers|
|LIFT SPECIALIST||Schindler Lifts (SA) (Pty) Ltd|
|MECHANICAL ENGINEER||Adaptive Resource Engineers|
|QUANTITY SURVEYORS||Gro2 Consulting|
|STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS||Pure Consulting|
|SUSTAINABLE DESIGN REVIEW||Solid Green|
|SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT||Solid Green|
|PROJECT MANAGER||Morta Project Management|
|LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT||Insite group|
|BMS SYSTEMS PROFESSIONAL||Adaptive Resource Engineers|
- Randburg, Intaprop