Standard Bank 3 Simmonds Rd
The refurbishment of the seven floors of Standard Bank, 3 Simmonds (1st -7th Floor Level) is the first to achieve a 5 Star – Green Star SA Interiors Pilot Rating. The project is located in the Johannesburg CBD with easy access for staff and visitors to local amenities within and around the office refurbishment.7
Public transport facilities such as the Westgate Taxi rank and Train station as well as the Rea Vaya, Pat Mbatha bus station are all located within 800m walking distance of the offices. Proving staff and visitors with accessible, alternative traveling options that result in better environmental outcomes across a variety of impact categories.
The fit-out has focussed on educating staff and visitors on how the sustainable initiatives that have been implemented in the refurbishment work. This is achieved by developing an Occupants Users Guide and making it available to the building owner to distribute as required. Implementation of a green lease focussing on energy, water and waste monitoring and reporting. Visual displays of these results and consumption data recorded by water and energy meters are also displayed in the foyers and lifts of the refurbished fit-out as a learning resource for building users regarding their measured environmental footprint.
Sustainable building features:
- Energy and water sub-metering with live metering results displayed within the foyer and lifts.
- Occupancy sensors for all light fittings
- Daylight Harvesting sensing and dimming of fluorescents lightspay for what they use.
- Energy efficient water cooled chiller plant.
- Underfloor air distribution via fan coil units is used and a full economy cycle fresh air plant is also provided.
- Quality of internal air is provided at 33% greater rates than the requirements of SANS 10400-O-2011.
- Energy Star ® rated appliances
- All printers or photocopy equipment are certified as having low emissions.
Low volatile organic compounds paint, adhesives, sealants and carpets reducing the internal air pollutant levels.
- Innovation points achieved for reusing an existing building and having an educated GSSAAP design team.
Address: 3 Simmonds Street, Marshalltown, Johannesburg, Gauteng, 2001
Car parking area: 27020m2
OWNER: STANDARD BANK
ARCHITECTS: TC DESIGN
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: ONE ZERO
PROJECT MANAGER: M STUDIO CONSULTING
FIRE ENGINEER: L J K FIRE ENGINEERING CONSULTANT
MAIN CONTRACTOR: FIKILE CONSTRUCTION
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: SPOORMAKER AND PARTNERS
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: AECOM
SUSTAINABLE DESIGN REVIEW CONSULTANTS: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
- 5 Star - Green Star SA Interiors Pilot Rating
- Johannesburg, Standard Bank