Solid Green Offices
Recently, the Solid Green offices in Rosebank – located near the district centre and within easy walking distance of the Gautrain, Rosebank Mall, bus stop and taxi rank – was awarded a 6 Star – Green Star SA Interiors v1 rating, demonstrating ‘World Leadership’.7
The Solid Green offices in Rosebank were recently awarded a 6 Star – Green Star SA Interiors v1 rating, demonstrating ‘World Leadership’. To achieve this rating, Solid Green adopted a number of strategies and pursued certain processes. For instance:
- An Occupancy Users Guide and Comprehensive Transport Plan was developed for the interior fit-out to inform staff about: a) local transport options (the offices are within easy walking distance of the Gautrain, Rosebank Mall, bus stop and taxi rank), incentives and amenities; and b) making optimal use of building services. Further, alternative transport methods have been made available, including a branded electric vehicle with charging facilities, as well as electric bicycles.
- A green lease has been implemented to monitor and report on energy usage, water consumption and waste generation. Live results are displayed in the foyers via Solid Insight – informing building users of their environmental footprint.
- Efforts to reduce waste generation though the development and implementation of an Operational Waste Management Plan have been undertaken, which include provision of separation bins, food-waste recycling ‘Bokashi’, a worm farm and recycling waste storage areas.
- An enhanced ASHRAE Commissioning process was implemented for the fitout as a prerequisite for the LEED Commercial Interiors v3 Rating achieved. Radiant cooling and renewable energy use were implemented for efficient space cooling to offset peak demand.
Sustainable building features
- Provision of Tuning and Enhanced Commissioning for all services and installations to ensure optimal operation.
- An ergonomic assessment by a registered ergonomist has been carried out on the office furniture (new or reused) and workstations.
- Water and energy sub-meters provide live-metering results displayed in the foyer via Solid Insight.
- General illuminance requirements have been met and lighting sufficient for tasks undertaken in all areas has been provided.
- Appliances are Energy Star® rated.
- All printers and photocopiers are certified as having low emissions.
- Use of low volatile organic compounds paint, adhesives, sealants and carpets, reducing air pollutant levels.
- Use of reused and locally sourced materials and furniture.
Address: B2 House, 8 Tyrwhitt Ave, Rosebank
Total gross floor area: 20 745m²
Total commercial office area: 17 977m²
Car parking area: 41 866m² (three bays allocated to Solid Green Offices)
OWNER: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
ARCHITECTS: TC DESIGN
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: TECHBUTLER
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
MAIN CONTRACTOR: IBW (IT’S BEEN A WHILE)
PROJECT MANAGER: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
- 6-STAR GREEN STAR SA INTERIORS V1
- Rosebank, Johannesburg