Reid Lifestyle Centre
Situated within The Reid Lifestyle estate, developed by Balwin Properties, this single-storey 6-Star Design Community building is surrounded by a rehabilitated wetland, with a plethora of amenities such as gym, laundromat, offices and spa.7
This 6-Star Design Community building is surrounded by a rehabilitated wetland. The building has implemented internal building service and architectural sustainable initiatives which can be recognized as world leadership.
Sustainable building features include
- Sub-metering of major energy consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for energy savings.
- Minimisation of Greenhouse Gas Emissions associated with operational energy consumption is reduced. An energy model of the building was generated and in the design stages of the building compared to a notional building model. The building design showed an improvement of 100% (net zero operating emissions base building) over a SANS 10400 notional building.
- Provision is made to ensure all individual spaces or enclosed spaces are individually switched. This will offer greater flexibility for light switching, making it easy to light only occupied areas.
- The buildings peak electrical demand is actively reduced by the use of Photo voltaic system.
- A direct visual connection to the external environment is provided for 80% of the Community Centre Occupied Area. A high level of thermal comfort is ensured by addressing the internal operative temperatures through modelling and ensuring they are within the ASHRAE Standard 55-2004 Acceptability Limits for at least 98% of occupied hours.
- All selected gaseous and fire suppression systems and thermal insulants used for the development have an Ozone Depleting Potential (ODP) of zero, to eliminate any contributions to long-term damage to the earth’s stratospheric ozone layer.
- A project specific Environmental Management Plan was developed and implemented throughout the duration of construction to establish guidelines to follow to minimise the environmental impact associated with construction activities. A project specific Waste Management Plan was developed and implemented to minimise the contribution of waste going to landfill
- The building achieves a savings through the use of water efficient fittings, xeriscape landscaping and a grey water system installed to reuse water used in the laundromat. The overall water demand of the building is reduced to 800m³ per annum.
- Sub-metering of major water consuming systems is in place. Gathering information is key to understanding and managing building systems and to assess opportunities for water savings.
- Balwin Properties has over exceeded the target by implementing several innovation measures which not only allow for a world leadership building yet also encourages the improvement of their contractor and design professional team, this is done through GBCSA online courses and further metering education measures.
- Learning resources are found throughout the whole internal and external fabric of the development A public display of the energy, water usage and indoor air quality levels within the development. A sustainability learning trail is implemented across the wetland landscaping which allows cyclists, joggers or walkers to explore the wetland whilst learning all the sustainability attributes of their estate.
- The lifestyle Centre promotes the use of alternative fuel vehicles, motorbikes and bicycles by designating parking spaces -near building entrances for occupants with zero to low carbon emitting modes of transport.
Address: 28 Beacon Avenue, Linbro Park, Sandton, 2090
Total gross floor area: 1543.36 m²
Total PEB Site area: 62 914.09 m²
Car parking area: 154 m²
OWNER: BALWIN PROPERTIES
ARCHITECT: VTC ARCHITECTURE
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: RWP TAEMANE
ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR: ROMOR ELECTRICAL WHOLESALERS
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: AIRTECH SERVICES
TRAFFIC ENGINEER: KANTEY & TEMPLER
LANDSCAPE CONSULTANT: LEAP
INTERIOR ARCHITECT: LYT ARCHITECTURE
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
MAIN CONTRACTOR: BALWIN PROPERTIES
PROJECT MANAGER: BALWIN PROPERTIES
QUANTITY SURVEYOR: BALWIN PROPERTIES
- 6-Star Green Star SA PEB v1
- Sandton, Balwin Properties