DRIVING CHANGE IN 2022!
2022 has been an exciting year for Solid Green as we have experienced the fruits of many months of hard work and seen several changes to our team. Here we highlight some of our achievements as we continue to drive change towards a transformed and regenerative built environment.7
We shared several project milestones with our clients this year, and we continue to be inspired by their commitment to a regenerative future for all. These include projects in South Africa as well as other African countries.
- The Ikusasa Building in the mixed-use Oxford Parks precinct received a 6-star Green Star Office v1.1. Design certification in July and is targeting the As-built and Interiors certifications as well as a Net Zero Level 1 certification.
- The S&J Industrial Estate secured the final EcoDistricts endorsement required to reach full certification on 14 June 2022.
- The new Balwin Headquarters on 105 Corlett Drive, a refurbishment of the iconic Creative Council building on the M1 highway, achieved a Net Zero Carbon-Level 1 certification this year as well as a 6-star Green Star certification last year.
- Block B in the 2 Ncondo Place precinct for Rewardsco in Umhlanga achieved a 5-Star Green Star SA Office v1.1 Design certification.
- The Precinct, Unity Building, an office development in Mauritius, achieved a 5-Star Green Star Office Design certification, making it the first building in Mauritius to achieve a 5-star design rating.
- Firmenich, the world’s largest privately-owned fragrance and taste company, is targeting an ambitious 6-Star Interiors v1 certification for their refurbished offices and laboratories.
- Nexus Building 01 is the first building in Waterfall City to target a Net Zero Carbon-Level 1 certification as well as 5-star Green Star Office v1.1 Design, As-built and Interior v.1 certifications.
- Liberty Two Degrees (L2D)achieved a 6-Star Green Star SA Interiors v1 certification for their interior fit-out.
- The Tlokweng Road Commercial Development in Gaborone is currently targeting a 4-Star Green Star New Build Office Design certification and is only the third development to target this certification in Botswana.
Our wins at the Convention
The commitment of our proactive and dedicated team was evident this year at the GBCSA’s Green Building Convention. Makhosazana Mthethwa brought home the Rising Green Star award, with Alex Varughese as runner-up.
The Fuchs Lubricants Headquarters won in the category Net Zero Submission with accredited professional (AP) Alex Varughese. We also had two runners-up in the category Highest Rated African Submission – Mashatu Terrace in Gaborone (5-Star Green Star Office As-built v1.1 submission) with AP Nomamfengu Mbele, and The Precinct, Unity Building in Mauritius with AP Adrie Fourie. The winning project for the overall Highest Rated Building and Highest Rated African Submission is also a Solid Green project; however, the client wants to remain confidential!
Welcome and farewell
Our people are our greatest asset, and we are thrilled to welcome a number of new team members on board – green building consultants Ranjita Pillai and Jennifer Dean; junior green building consultants Aadil Fayzoo & Kamohelo Selepe; modelling & simulation consultant Thato Molapo and modelling technician Xenia Scott; technical services success manager Wardah Peters; and modelling technician interns Wish Mundondo and Kasonde Mumba.
Four of our valued longstanding team members moved on to other pastures this year – Zendré Compion, Dash Coville, Nomamfengu Mbele and Alex Varughese. We are deeply appreciative of the time we shared with them and of the skills and passion they brought to their work here, and we would like to wish them everything of the very best moving forward.
We are grateful!
Our journey is only possible thanks to the loyal support of our clients, staff, colleagues, supporters and suppliers. You continue to inspire us with your commitment to a better future for people and the planet. We look forward to more shared successes next year and wish you and your families a relaxing and enjoyable holiday season!