Standard Bank Benmore Gardens
Standard Bank – with Solid Green’s aid – continues the greening of its branches, with the Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre branch in Sandton being awarded a 4-Star Green Star SA Interiors v1 As-Built Rating, demonstrating Best Practice in March/April 2017.7
Standard Bank Benmore Gardens has – in March/April 2017 – achieved a 4-Star Green Star SA Interiors v1 As-Built Rating, demonstrating ‘Best Practice’. The branch is in the Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre, within walking distance of both bus and taxi stations, providing alternative commutes for staff and visitors.
Standard Bank has attempted to reduce its waste by implementing an operational waste management plan and providing separation bins and recycling waste storage areas. Additionally, certified materials products were used for furniture, flooring and assembly items and sourced from within South Africa.
Sustainable building features
An Occupancy Users Guide has been developed to enlighten staff about transport and local amenities, as well as how to optimally use building services. A learning-resources display helps with the monitoring and reporting of energy and water consumption and waste generation by staff and building visitors. The results are displayed in the foyers to make building users aware of their environmental footprint. In addition, the building features:
- Provisioning of tuning and commissioning of all services and installations to ensure they operate to their potential.
- Water and energy sub-metering to provide live-metering results for display in the foyer.
- General illuminance requirements have been met by providing lighting levels appropriate to the tasks performed throughout the fit-out.
- Energy Star® rated appliances.
- All printers and photocopy equipment certified as low emission.
- Low volatile organic compounds (VOC) paint, adhesives, sealants and carpets used to reduce the internal air pollutant levels.
- Materials and furniture having been sustainably and locally sourced.
- Local connectivity criteria which exceed the Green Star SA Benchmark.
Address: Benmore Gardens Shopping Centre, 11th St & Benmore Road, Sandton
Total gross floor area: 576 m2
Car parking area: No dedicated parking bays.
OWNER: STANDARD BANK
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: KOOLCON CONTRACTORS
MAIN CONTRACTOR: KOOLCON CONTRACTORS
PROJECT MANAGER: STANDARD BANK
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANT: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING
- 4-Star Green Star SA Interiors v1 As-Built
- Sandton, Johannesburg