Google’s 5-Star Green Star Interiors v1 rated Johannesburg office – in the Ballyoaks Office Park in Bryanston – is an exercise in locally inspired design matched with both green and wellness considerations that raised the green-interiors bar with ambitious LEED and Healthy Materials targets.7
Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA) recently awarded Google’s Johannesburg office a 5-star Green Star SA Interiors v1 certification (demonstrating ‘South Africa Excellence’), following on from its International Green Interior Award 2015. Solid Green Consulting and Ecocentric Green Building Consultants joined forces to deliver a complex process in a short timeframe – including a comparative analysis of Green Star SA and LEED – to meet Google’s Healthy Materials Program requirements for the new office block in Ballyoaks Office Park, Bryanston.
- An Occupancy Users Guide and Comprehensive Transport Plan was developed for the interior fit-out to inform staff about: a) local transport options (the offices are within easy walking distance of Bryanston Shopping Centre, bus stop and taxi rank), incentives and amenities; and b) making optimal use of building services. Further, alternative transport methods have been made available, including a branded electric vehicle with charging facilities, as well as electric bicycles.
- A Building Management System has been implemented to monitor and report on energy usage, water consumption and waste generation. Live results are displayed in the foyers informing building users of their environmental footprint.
- Efforts to reduce waste generation though the development and implementation of an Operational Waste Management Plan have been undertaken, which include provision of separation bins, food-waste recycling, and recycling waste storage areas.
- An enhanced ASHRAE Commissioning process was implemented for the fitout as a prerequisite for the LEED Commercial Interiors v3 Rating achieved.
- As per Google’s stringent requirements, the office was designed for high levels of acoustic comfort to facilitate a uniquely South African, productive, comfortable and creative workspace.
Sustainable building features
- Provision of Tuning and Enhanced Commissioning for all services and installations to ensure optimal operation.
- An ergonomic assessment by a registered ergonomist has been carried out on the office furniture (new or reused) and workstations.
- Water and energy sub-meters provide live-metering results displayed in the foyer via Solid Insight.
- Hot-water heating is provided by means of heat pump.
- General illuminance requirements have been met and lighting sufficient for tasks undertaken in all areas has been provided.
- Appliances are Energy Star® rated.
- All printers and photocopiers are certified as having low emissions.
- Use of low volatile organic compounds paint, adhesives, sealants and carpets, reducing air pollutant levels.
- Use of reused and locally sourced materials and furniture.
2nd floor, Building E
Ballyoaks Office Park
35 Ballyclare Drive, Bryanston
Total gross floor area: 144 201 m²
Total commercial office area: 144 201 m²
Car parking area: 173 495 m²
ARCHITECTS: BOOGERTMAN & PARTNERS INTERIORS
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER: CKR CONSULTING ENGINEERS
FIRE ENGINEER: CKR CONSULTING ENGINEERS
MECHANICAL ENGINEER: CKR CONSULTING ENGINEERS
ACOUSTIC ENGINEER: LIN SPACE
QUANTITY SURVEYORS: TURNER AND TOWNSEND
SUSTAINABLE BUILDING CONSULTANTS: SOLID GREEN CONSULTING & ECO-CENTRIC
WET SERVICES: CKR CONSULTING ENGINEERS
MAIN CONTRACTOR: TREND GROUP
PROJECT MANAGER: PROFICA
COMMISSIONING AGENT: ECOLUTION
- 5-STAR GREEN STAR INTERIORS V1
- Sandton, Johannesburg